Sneakerplay a few months ago. It is a community that is fixed on...you guessed it - sneakers...
There is about 38K+ photo's in the gallery, over 5,700 members (87 which are from Toronto), contests, forums...and just added recently - a blog function.
I really, really like the idea of the blog function....why? Because it is the next logical evolution from the forum.
1. It keeps the conversation flowing and mixing among various topics.
2. They kept RSS only to the blog and not the forum (not sure why, but I can see that it would allow someone to monitor the new topics...it would be up to them to save topics that they are interested in and/or comment on)
3. Blog topics are fed into the forum...for future search.
4. Forum is great to see past topics...a blog is great to see waht people are talking about NOW! and/or new topics.
5. You can trackback blog posts but not forum posts.
6. Forums are typically moderated...blogs not.
I think sneakerplay's blog needs more focus...and objective (yes, I know - shoes!...but things can easily sway elsewhere)...it will be interesting to see how this community embraces it or goes back ot using the forum.